Feedback on Development / Market Programmes
Market Leaders London Meetings - September 2010 - backed by Creative Scotland
(Representatives from the following companies attended: AP Watt, The Agency, Icon, Octopus Investments, Goldcrest, United Agents, Alan Brodie, Bankside, Rochelle Stevens, Mollinaire, Focus Features, Ingenious, WestEnd Films, Revolver, Independent, Future Films, Momentum, Matador, AV Pictures, Summit Entertainment, Olswang, Tenon, Premiere, Aramid, Greenhouse Media Investment, Scion, Grant Thornton, Hubbard Casting as well producers Iain Smith, Bill Chartoff and Bill Allan.)
This has clearly been a very successful and well managed initiative.
Ian Smith, Producer (The A Team, Children of Men, Seven Years in Tibet)
The London meetings were efficacious, efficient and energising. We easily achieved in three days in one office what would have taken a fortnight of slogging round town.
Eddie Dick, Makar Productions
There was a fantastic range of industry represented - from agents to distributors and financiers - there was genuine interest in what the Scottish Producers are up to; a great opportunity to do a lot business in a short space of time.
Karen Smyth, La Belle Allee
The Market Leaders London session was both highly relevant and motivational, giving producers the perfect mix of context through market case studies, alongside opportunity from individual business meetings. It enabled us to cover territory in a matter of days which would've otherwise taken months.
Claire Mundell, Synchronicity
The Scottish Mini-Market in London was a triumph. We really hope this will become an annual event to keep the London industry informed of our projects and to raise the profile of Scotland's producers and our work in progress. A terrific achievement by Initialize. We were delighted with the calibre of contacts and did excellent business.
Arabella Page-Croft, Black Camel Pictures
The London sessions were an excellent and concentrated set of opportunities to present our projects on a one-to-one basis to high-level agents, financiers and decision makers from the industry.
Peter Broughan, Rob Roy Films
Market Leaders' London session proved to be a really effective way to do business. Fitting more than 30 meetings each, along with 2 seminars and informal evening meetings into 3 days would have been impossible without Initialize to organize it all. The follow up from the meetings I've had has also been extremely positive.
Clare Kerr, Meadkerr
Toronto Lab, TIFF September 2009 - backed by Scottish Screen
It very encouraging and inspiring to part of an industry with this level of support and guidance. I would greatly recommend it to the filmmakers of tomorrow. Even during the busy festival where deals are being closed around the clock I felt like I was meeting the right people and getting a lot out of it t help me with my future projects.
Bryan Larkin, Dabhand Films (Running in Traffic)
This was a terrific week for me personally as a producer and also for our whole group. There are a small number of producers in Scotland who are producing theatrically and capable of delivering in the international market place. The positioning of the group enabled access to high quality financiers, sales agents and distributors. I’d certainly want to participate again and encourage other producers to take part.
Arabella Page-Croft, Black Camel Pictures (Outpost, Legacy)
Enjoyed the course, good calibre of supportive fellow participants, also found it practically useful in establishing new network of contacts in North America.
Angus Lamont, Crab Apple Films (Late Night Shopping, Donkey Punch)
The Toronto Initialise Lab was a fantastic experience, both in terms of making contact with individuals and companies in international sales, financing, co-production and distribution, and also in being able to share information and experiences with the other Scottish Producers in the group.
Wendy Griffin (Wasted)
The course was excellent, and exceeded my expectations. The Initialize Toronto Lab was an excellent way to engage with the Toronto Film Festival, allowing me to maximise meeting opportunities well beyond what I could’ve achieved on my own.
Claire Mundell, Synchronicy Films (Crying with Laughter)
Extremely beneficial. I am in active transatlantic discussions on three of my own projects and one which was brought to me by a Canadian producer. Real conversations with significant people which will extend the international reach of my company.
Eddie Dick, Makar Productions (Blind Flight, True North, Outcast)
Attending the Toronto Film Lab as part of the Scottish Screen delegation gave me access far beyond what I could have hoped for as an individual. I am now in discussion with a Canadian co-pro partner and have distribution and funding opportunities that I am still following up from this trip.
Terry Wolsey, Eyeline Media (The Gospel Truth)
The combination of the two programmes made this Toronto quite simply the best festival/market I have ever attended.
Peter Broughan, Flying Scotsman Films (Rob Roy, The Flying Scotsman)
Interdoc Edinburgh 2008 - backed by Scottish Screen
It was a hugely informative course given by amazing tutors in a friendly and supportive environment.
The tutoring was thorough and excellent -– amazing. So far above the call of duty. Interdoc really rocked. Thanks so much to you all!!
Daniel Edelstyn, Optimistic Productions
“Never before have I gone with such high expectations and have had them exceeded in absolutely every aspect.
Stephen Anderson, Kelpie Films
Interdoc is a fantastically inspiring and enjoyable course. I feel so much more confident now in my understanding of the International marketplace for documentaries and how to navigate my way through that.
It exceeded my expectations largely due to the candid and practical advice given.
Nigel Wattis, Mindful Films
I think that Interdoc have really plugged a gap by creating this course and have done a brilliant job. I also learnt a huge amount from the other participants and it was a great way to connect with other film makers.
Walking in to the Interdoc classroom felt like a return to a home that I didn’t even know existed. To be in a room with the very best of my generation of directors and producers and tutors all of whom wanting all of our projects realised was like coming home. Thank you.
Anna Teeman, Endstreet Productions
Interdoc is a wonderfully inclusive environment to learn about the fine art of producing for the international market. With a highly experienced team of tutors and a group of likeminded filmmakers this course intimately sets out what, why and how to approach and manage strategies to find finance for your film.
I gained massive amount of knowledge from the course, which I can now confidently put in practice when developing my projects.
Aimara Reques, Media Co-operative
Co-Production Lab – Berlin 2009 - backed by Skillset's Film Skills Fund
This was a brilliant course, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their knowledge of what it takes to get a project co-produced, not only internationally but nationally as well. The industry attendees were all extremely helpful, and their opinions and advice have tightened our strategy to get the film financed and shot in the right territories.
John Schwab, Poisson Rouge Pictures (The Hide)
The fact that such high-calibre people were prsent in such a relaxed atmosphere was the perfect combination for me. I only wish every week of my professional life was so rewarding - and fun!
Mark John, Vision Thing (A Boy Called Dad)
This was a real eye-opener and extremely helpful. I appreciated the expert level of the guest speakers (as well as their entertainment value) - this is not always the case in similar set-ups. I was really happy I came…
Michael Gunther, Triboro Pictures (Anamorph)
The Co-Pro Lab was an absolutely excellent experience – great programme of speakers and marvellous support on the ground in Berlin.
This was a great 4 days that mixed training and discussion with practical experience. It is so helpful to hear the theory, then see it in action through a case study.
Robert Herman, Stink (A Changed Man)
Many thanks for your efforts, they really lead to some solid leads.
A very helpful, friendly and informative course. Thank you very much!
Karen Katz, Coded Pictures (Shadownscan, Moving to Mars)
The whole course was fantastic.
Steffan Boje, Little Fisch Films (The Barn)
Thanks for making it such an enjoyable and illuminating introduction to the previously murky waters of co-production.
It was great to be part of such a supportive, fun and hopefully fruitful endeavour.
Gavin Humpries, Quark Films
Online Film Strategies 2008 - backed by Skillset's Film Skills Fund
- "I cannot think of 5 other days throughout my career that have so radically challenged my thinking and opened my eyes. Like many other producers who have grown up in a 'traditional' world, I felt very at sea thinking about new digital possibilities. This course did not, of course, give me all the answers but I found it incredibly stimulating and thought- provoking, whilst also giving me the confidence to re-consider my existing film and television projects in a new light. I cannot recommend it too highly."
- "A wonderfully in-depth course - vital to anybody in film trying to stay ahead of the curve. This is the future."
- "Very useful, an eye opener and it filled my marketing bag with stacks of ammunition. However you have to be prepared that not all the ideas stick or are right for your project, but the best thing is having all those new arrows to try out. The assault on the senses really set off the synapses and helped stimulate lots of new ideas."
- "The course exceeded my expectations by a mile! It offered a comprehensive overview of fascinating case studies of successful online marketing and financing campaigns; high caliber tutors; a convivial and interactive atmosphere - and above all it delivered practical and extremely motivating advice. What I took away was the importance of striking and maintaining new relationships: with the audience, and with the new digital tribe of distributors."
- "I found the Lab on Online Financing, Marketing and Distribution to be of immense value to me as an independent film maker. I knew that my understanding of what was available and achievable through use of the Internet was inadequate and that I was probably missing some important opportunities. The Lab proved me right and gave me a thorough understanding of what the Internet can (and can't) contribute to my work. I'm glad I attended and it was definitely time well spent. I have already joined several Internet networks and in the months ahead will continue to develop online marketing and distribution as an important part of my strategy for promoting and distributing my films, with The Spell film being the first to benefit from this approach."
Alternative Finance Strategies - 2008 - backed by Northern Ireland Screen
- Truly inspirational and ground-breaking. Like oxygen for creative risk-takers who are fed up of risk/originality-phobic "gate keepers
- For me, the walls came down a bit around the industry. A few myths were shattered and the whole funding minefield became less daunting. Enlightening actually, and pretty empowering.
- The course gives you practical solutions to put into action immediately.
- I am a very experienced music and opera producer who has started working in film and TV production in recent years and have been struck by the extent to which the management of the industry is unimaginative. This course was a breath of creative fresh air.
- The Alternative Finance Strategies course was one of the best I have attended. It gave me a greater sense of the challenges and opportunities that face film producers. It provided a lot of stimulus for ideas, both in terms of looking at alternative ways to raise film finance, and thinking creatively about a films target market. There was plenty of scope for free flowing ideas, which enabled the participants to look at their projects from a range of perspectives and made the course both beneficial and enjoyable. Most importantly I learned the importance the role of the Internet and New Media platforms will play in the future of the industry. I left with a wealth of innovative ideas of how to market and distribute my film, spurred on by the support